These are after thoughts of Savasana... or of any moment where you stop and appreciate the work you have done to get you where you are.
When you pause and take a moment to be still, you allow the processing that has happened on the emotional, mental or physical level to be absorbed by the body. We can heal the body and heal through the body.
These golden moments is where your body has a chance to do its own magic, there is nothing you can do with your mind to force your body to heal and repair, all you can do is to allow your body this time that it needs.
Quite often the thoughts that come through the mind during Savasana moments have clarity and insight that is not always accessible during the distractions of daily life.
Each week I write up these thoughts and include them with the live class recordings. Here I share those themes that persist through the month.
The Power of Affirmations
With International Womens Day on March 8th I have been looking around me and noticing all the wonderful women in my life. The truth is I have always been a bit of a tom-boy and I enjoy male company and the ‘craic’ had amongst the lads. I also was quite resistant to the idea of Womens groups because they felt to me to be anti-men...which I am not.
So it has taken me somewhat by surprise to look at my life now and notice the circles of women that I see around me. These women with whom I have managed to form connections with through the crazy of 2020. It started with Subtle Body Anatomy training, which is ongoing and forever developing, from this came the friendship with Cathi and Louise that has made Anois Yoga possible. I have a wonderful group of surf girl-friends and we get to meet out-back on the waves when conditions are favourable. Recently I joined an eco-feminist book club…What the heck, who AM I?
So it dawned on me, in Savasana, that I introduced an affirmation into my life about 2 years ago that seems to coincide with this shift in my friend-matrix. My affirmation is simple 'I am my most beautiful feminine self'. I felt at the time that I needed balance and wasn’t particular about what changes came, I just needed to feel more my feminine self. We all need help feeling our most authentic selves and often we get fixated on what needs to change externally rather than what you need to feel internally. I might have had some ideas of what I might like to happen, but I was keeping my mind open;-D
So here’s a few tips for working with affirmations, Imagining your affirmation is a direct conversation with the Universe…not a request, a statement. You may wish for feelings of peace, freedom, motivation, passion, focus…etc.
- State what way you wish to feel, rather than things you'd like to have.
- It IS OK to borrow the words of others if they fit with your hearts desires.
- Phrase the affirmation into the present tense. eg. If you tell the universe 'I want to be happy with my life' The universe hears a person saying 'I am a person who wants happiness' and the universe will create situations where you are left wanting happiness. So you could rephrase the affirmation to 'I am happy with the life I have'. And the universe will provide you with what you need to be happy in the life that you have, whether that’s a change in circumstances or a change of perspective. If you end up feeling happy with your life, then it’s worked.
- Repeat your affirmation daily. I prefer early morning, before the phone or laptop are touched.
- Start with your full name ‘I am First name, middle name, last name.’
- Follow with ‘I am…..your affirmation’ Repeat as often as you like.
- Trust that the universe/matrix will arrange itself to provide you with the experience that fits with your statement of yourself.
For me, I now realise that although I may have been expecting a different outcome, it has actually been through these connections and communication with the wonderful women in my life that I have started to authentically feel like my most beautiful feminine self.